- Join our new Bigs-Only Facebook Group! It's a great place to share Match Activity ideas, post photos, and connect with one another! https://www.facebook.com/groups/341227398126672/
Upcoming Group Match Activities
Please contact your Match Support Specialist for more information and to RSVP for any of the following activities. We will provide more details once you RSVP!
- Day of your choice: BOGO Free Haircuts for Little Brothers: Big Brothers, experience a luxury men’s grooming salon with your Little Brother! If you book your own haircut with Sean at Styles by Sean Conner, he’ll cut your Little Brother’s hair for FREE! Book online using THIS LINK and schedule two back-to-back haircuts. Upon arrival, show Sean your BBBSNN membership card to receive the free haircut.
- Sat, Feb 11: UNR Women’s Basketball vs. New Mexico: 1:00 PM, Tickets will be forwarded electronically the week of the game. Only a few tickets remain, so RSVP ASAP (Lawlor Events Center, 1664 N. Virginia St., Reno, NV 89557)
- Sat, Feb 11: Believe in Education Rally: 10:00 AM, This is a non-partisan event focused on gathering community awareness and support of efforts to improve NV’s Public Education System. BBBSNN will have a table, so be sure to stop by and say hi or stay and help us get the word out about our program! No need to RSVP to this one! (Reno City Plaza, 10 N. Virginia St., Reno, NV 89501)
- Thurs, Feb 23: BBBS Bingo Night, hosted by our friends at Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM, Limited to 6 matches, RSVP by Feb 17 (Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 3005 Mill St, Reno 89502)
- Thurs, Mar 9: UNR Performing Arts presents "Butterscotch": 7:30 PM, A multi-talented singer, beat-boxer, and instrumentalist, Butterscotch blends Hip-Hop, Jazz, Soul and Reggae for an unforgettable show! RSVP by March 3 (Nightingale Concert Hall, Church Fine Arts building, UNR campus, 1335 N Virginia, Reno 89512)
- Mesa Rim Climbing Center: Free day passes for climbing, yoga and fitness (Rental gear included). (970 Harvard Way, Reno, NV 89502)
- Sat, Feb 11: Hands ON! Second Saturday at the Nevada Museum of Art "The Art of Water" (FREE admission): 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Hands-on activities like building a rainstick and watercolor resist. https://www.nevadaart.org/event/hands-on-second-saturday-21/ (Nevada Museum of Art, 160 W Liberty St, Reno 89501)
- Sat, Feb 25: Super Hero Movie Party at the National Automobile Museum: 10:00 AM, Get your picture taken with a multitude of super heroes and two Batmobiles, enjoy treats and activities, then watch Avengers: Engame in the museum’s theater at noon. The party is free with admission: Youth $10, Adult $15. https://automuseum.org/nam_events/bam-its-a-super-hero-movie-party/ (National Automobile Museum, 1 Museum Dr., Reno, NV 89501)
- Thursdays in February: Thursday Game Night at Coffee n Comics: 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM https://www.coffeencomics.com/ (Coffee n Comics, 940 W. Moana Ln., Reno, NV 89509)
- Fridays and Saturdays: Planetarium Viewings: Multiple screening times, exhibit options include with/without Full-Dome Theater Show, ranging from $3/person to $10 Student/Senior and $15 Adult. Check website for times: https://www.unr.edu/planetarium/about (Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center, 1664 N. Virginia St., Reno, NV 89557)
- Sundays: "Makebreaks" Classes at Michaels (FREE admission): 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Feb 5 (Painting Friendship Rocks), Feb 19 (Black Heritage Art), Feb 26 (Spring Pastel Paint Pour). Register at https://www.michaels.com/instoreevents (Michaels at Fire Creek Crossing, 4871 Kietzke Ln, Reno 89509)
- Now through April 30: Expedition Dinosaur at the Wilber D. May Museum: This exhibit features 11 fully animatronic, larger-than-life dinosaurs with realistic movement and sounds, as well as an interactive adventurer’s station, photo ops, video centers, and excavation digs. Admission is $9 for children and seniors, $10 for adults. https://www.washoecounty.gov/parks/maycenterhome/museum/events_and_exhibits.php (Wilber D. May Museum, 1595 N. Sierra St., Reno, NV 89503)
LOCAL DISCOUNTS FOR MATCHES
- Free admission for Littles at The Discovery: Littles get in free with the paid admission of their Bigs any day except Wednesday. On Wednesdays, the museum is open late and from 4:00-8:00 PM, all admissions are 50% off. To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about The Discovery.
- Free studio fees at The Playful Potter: The Playful Potter in Sparks is offering free studio fees for matches that come in to paint pottery. Click here to learn more about the Playful Potter.
- Free admission for Littles at the National Automobile Museum: Littles get in free with the paid admission of their Bigs! To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about the museum and their special events.
- Free ride wristband and $5 game card for Littles at the BoomTown Fun Center: Littles coming with their Big get a free ride wristband and $5 game card to enjoy the Fun Center! To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about the Fun Center.
- Free admission for Littles at the Enchanted Cat Café: Littles receive free entry when accompanied by their Big Brother or Big Sister. Bigs, simply identify yourself as a Big with BBBSNN to redeem.
- Reduced membership for matches at BridgeWire MakerSpace: Half price deal for Bigs to join ($35/month) and you can take your Little (age 12+) for free. This is best suited for older matches who want to make working on projects their main focus. An orientation (at an additional one-time fee) is required of the Big (only) to introduce you to the building and all of the equipment available for use.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR MATCHES
- Immunize Nevada: Email [email protected] for more information about current volunteer opportunities.
Activity Ideas for Community-Based Bigs
*Locations with an asterisk are in Carson City.
Games & Sports
- Play board games
- Go bowling
- *Carson Lanes
- High Sierra Lanes (Click here to visit Kids Bowl Free and register for your Little to receive free bowling this spring and summer!)
- GSR Bowling Center
- Learn a magic trick
- Go miniature golfing or to the driving range
- Learn bike safety and repair
- Watch a sports game at the high school your Little will attend
- Attend a UNR or TMCC sports game
Arts & Crafts
- Watch a theater, dance, or music performance
- Take a class or workshop together
- Visit a museum
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math)
- Walk through a hardware store and learn the function of various tools
- Do a simple chemistry experiment
- Show your Little how to maintain a vehicle, like washing the car or changing a tire
- Complete a Citizen Science project to teach your Little more about the environment
- Visit a museum or planetarium
Reading & Writing
- Write and illustrate a short story or comic book together
- Read the same book then discuss it
- Check out the "Just for Teens" activities through the Washoe County Library System: https://washoecountylibrary.us/teens/index.php
- Visit a library or bookstore (many offer free activities for all ages!)
Community, Activism, & Culture
- Visit local farmers’ markets, parades, or festivals
- Volunteer together with a local charity
- Write to the President and ask for a photo (You’ll probably receive one!)
- Use a map to learn about where friends and family live, where you have or would like to travel, and where current events are occurring
- Learn to count to 10 in a foreign language
- Write a letter to your Congressional representative(s) regarding an issue important to both of you
- Look around an antiques store and compare things of the past with things of the present
- Visit a local historic location
- Learn safety skills like using a fire extinguisher or performing CPR
Nature & Mindfulness
- Go for a walk or hike
- Fly a kite
- Start a rock collection
- Make a gratitude journal
- Kayak or paddle board
- Visit the zoo
- Take a picnic lunch
- Try a new food
- Visit a coffee shop
- Starbucks (BBBS National Partner)
- Go ice skating
- Help your Little make holiday cards for their family, friends, and teachers
- Visit a farm or pumpkin patch
- Andelin Family Farm (fall, spring, and summer activities)
- Ferrari Farms (fall, spring, and summer activities)
- Create a scrapbook with photos and mementos of the things you’ve done together
- Write a letter to your Little on your match anniversary telling them what you’ve noticed about them in the last year