This is a place designed especially for Bigs to provide you with the support, inspiration, and materials you need to make your match even stronger.
The importance of summer reading is our focus this month. Both Washoe County Library and Carson City Library have created programming around the theme “Libraries Rock!” Be sure to check their comprehensive schedule of free programs and events starting in June and continuing throughout the summer on their websites: www.washoecountylibrary.us/summerreading and www.carsoncitylibrary.org/summerlearning, so you don’t miss some fun activities. While you’re at it, have your Little pre-register online NOW to track their reading and earn free books (Washoe County) or special prizes (Carson City)!
Looking for a public space to hang out with your Little? Try some of these!
For space to play your own games, cards, or make crafts:
- Blind Onion Pizza
- Swill Coffee
- UNR’s J Crowley Student Union
To play board games (games available on site):
- Wild Garlic Pizza
- The Basement
- Games Galore in the Meadowood Mall
- Washoe County libraries
- The library in the William J Raggio Building on the UNR campus
Ongoing Activities in Carson City/Gardnerville/Minden
Dangberg Home Ranch Tour
Wednesdays-Sundays: 75 minute guided tours take visitors through the main level of the Dangberg residence, where they hear the family's private and public history and learn how it helped shape the community! Littles 16 and younger are free. Bigs are $8. Visit the website for more details.
Special Opportunity For Bigs and Littles
BridgeWire memberships are normally $70 per month and $25 per month for each additional person. A 50% discount is being offered to BBBS Bigs, and a waiver of the $25 additional person fee for the Little. That brings the monthly fee to just $35 for the match, a $60 discount.
Conditions of Membership:
- Membership would give the Big an access card to use the facility 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- The Little would only have access when the Big is present. The match can use the facility to build projects or just to meet and play board games and chat.
- The match can attend any BridgeWire classes, such as welding, metal shop, wood shop, soldering, and more. Most of these classes are free for members.
- The match is able to attend social events for free, such as “Inspiration Night”, movie night, BBQ, game night and more.
- Community material piles are available to members both in the wood and metal shops. These piles contain left over materials from other projects the matches are free to us for their projects.
- Storage cabinets are available to store projects and supplies.
- If three or more matches are members, they can reserve their meeting room one evening a month to do group activities. This would be a BBBS event only for the matches that have memberships.
- When the Little is in the shop both the Big and Little must be working on the same project.
- It is requested the match volunteer two hours every three months. This could be sweeping floors, general cleaning, leading an event, helping staff their booth at the Reno Maker Fair, or anything else to help the community.