- Ongoing training for all of our Bigs is important!
- Please look out for a 1-hour long Mentor Opioid Awareness Training, which will be assigned to you. Feel free to ask your Match Support Specialist any questions about this.
Upcoming Group Match Activities
Please contact your Match Support Specialist for more information and to RSVP for any of the following activities. We will provide more details once you RSVP!
- Sat, May 7: BBBS Garden planting: 10:00 AM – noon (Kiwanis Bike Project's Community Garden, 5305 Mill Street, Reno, NV 89502)
- Sat, May 14: Girls-Only LPGA/USGA Golf Clinic: 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM, RSVP by May 1 (Sierra Sage Golf Course, 6355 Silver Lake Road, Reno, NV 89506)
- Sat, May 21: BBBS Tennis Day Presented by Sierra Junior Tennis: 10:00 AM – noon, RSVP by May 16 (McArthur Tennis Center at UNR, 400 Dolly Drive, Reno, NV 89512)
- Wed, May 25: Bridgewire Makerspace: 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM, limited number of participants allowed (Bridgewire Makerspace, 1055 Industrial Way, Suite 20, Sparks, NV 89431)
Tickets Available for Matches
Tickets will be posted here when available. Limited tickets available for each activity.
- Sat-Sun, May 7-8: Reno River Festival: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM, https://renoriverfestival.com (Wingfield Park, 2 S Arlington Avenue, Reno, NV 89501)
- Sat, May 14: Hands ON! Second Saturday at the Nevada Museum of Art: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, celebrate the art of Jean LaMarr with mono printing, https://www.nevadaart.org/event/hands-on-second-saturday-12 (Nevada Museum of Art, 160 W. Liberty Street, Reno, NV 89501)
- Sun, May 15: All About Spices with Milk Street Live Online Cooking School: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, no charge, spice-up your snack game with the Milk Street Cooking School! Littles ages 13+ and their Bigs are invited to join us for a virtual cook-along, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bbbs-all-about-spices-tickets-261289543057
- Sun, May 22: Service Project at Playful Potter: 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM, Paint a bowl at Playful Potter ($11 each) to donate to the Community Food Pantry (Playful Potter, 1351 E Prater Way, Suite 109, Sparks, NV 89434)
- Sundays: "Makebreaks" Classes at Michaels: No charge (Michaels craft stores, https://www.michaels.com/instoreevents#id=sunday-makebreak-small-macrame-holder-li-bayshore)
- Various Dates: Lowe's Workshops: (Lowe's stores, https://www.lowes.com/events/register/shoot-the-moon-kit)
- Washoe County Library System, Activities and Resources "Just for Teens": https://washoecountylibrary.us/teens/index.php
Activity Ideas for Community-Based Bigs
*Locations with an asterisk are in Carson City.
Games & Sports
- Play board games
- Go bowling
- Learn a magic trick
- Go miniature golfing or to the driving range
- Learn bike safety and repair
- Watch a sports game at the high school your Little will attend
- Attend a UNR or TMCC sports game
Arts & Crafts
- Watch a theater, dance, or music performance
- Take a class or workshop together
- Visit a museum
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math)
- Walk through a hardware store and learn the function of various tools
- Do a simple chemistry experiment
- Show your Little how to maintain a vehicle, like washing the car or changing a tire
- Complete a Citizen Science project to teach your Little more about the environment
- Visit a museum or planetarium
Reading & Writing
Community, Activism, & Culture
- Visit local farmers’ markets, parades, or festivals
- Volunteer together with a local charity
- Write to the President and ask for a photo (You’ll probably receive one!)
- Use a map to learn about where friends and family live, where you have or would like to travel, and where current events are occurring
- Learn to count to 10 in a foreign language
- Write a letter to your Congressional representative(s) regarding an issue important to both of you
- Look around an antiques store and compare things of the past with things of the present
- Visit a local historic location
- Learn safety skills like using a fire extinguisher or performing CPR
Nature & Mindfulness
- Go for a walk or hike
- Fly a kite
- Start a rock collection
- Make a gratitude journal
- Kayak or paddle board
- Visit the zoo
- Take a picnic lunch
- Try a new food
- Visit a coffee shop
- Starbucks (BBBS National Partner)
- Go ice skating
- Help your Little make holiday cards for their family, friends, and teachers
- Visit a farm or pumpkin patch
- Create a scrapbook with photos and mementos of the things you’ve done together
- Write a letter to your Little on your match anniversary telling them what you’ve noticed about them in the last year
LOCAL DISCOUNTS FOR MATCHES
- Free admission for Littles at The Discovery: Littles get in free with the paid admission of their Bigs any day except Wednesday. On Wednesdays, the museum is open late and from 4:00-8:00 PM, all admissions are 50% off. To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about The Discovery.
- Free studio fees at The Playful Potter: The Playful Potter in Sparks is offering free studio fees for matches that come in to paint pottery. Click here to learn more about the Playful Potter.
- Free admission for Littles at the National Automobile Museum: Littles get in free with the paid admission of their Bigs! To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about the museum and their special events.
- Free ride wristband and $5 game card for Littles at the BoomTown Fun Center: Littles coming with their Big get a free ride wristband and $5 game card to enjoy the Fun Center! To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about the Fun Center.
- Free admission for Littles at the Enchanted Cat Café – Littles receive free entry when accompanied by their Big Brother or Big Sister. Bigs, simply identify yourself as a Big with BBBSNN to redeem.
- Reduced membership for matches at BridgeWire MakerSpace – Half price deal for Bigs to join ($35/month) and you can take your Little (age 12+) for free. This is best suited for older matches who want to make working on projects their main focus. An orientation (at an additional one-time fee) is required of the Big (only) to introduce you to the building and all of the equipment available for use.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR MATCHES
- Immunize Nevada: Email [email protected] for more information about current volunteer opportunities.