- Join our new Bigs-Only Facebook Group! It's a great place to share Match Activity ideas, post photos, and connect with one another! https://www.facebook.com/groups/341227398126672/
Upcoming Group Match Activities
Please contact your Match Support Specialist for more information and to RSVP for any of the following activities. We will provide more details once you RSVP!
- Wed, Nov 9: BBBS Gets Crafty: 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM, Celebrate fall with a clay project and leaf artwork! Limited availability, so RSVP ASAP. (BBBSNN Conference Room, 1300 Foster Dr, Suite 210, Reno, NV 89509)
- Thurs, Nov 10: "M5 Mexican Brass": 7:30 PM, Third in the season’s UNR Performing Arts Series, this brass quintet puts on entertaining performances filled with exceptional music, comedy, theatrics and audience interaction! RSVP by Nov 8. (Nightingale Concert Hall, Church Fine Arts building, UNR, 1335 N Virginia St, Reno, NV 89512)
- Sat, Nov 19: BBBSNN Science Day at UNR: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM, Discover the exhibits at our local Museum of Natural History, try some cool experiments, and visit with some friendly snakes and giant lizards. This popular event is brought back to us after a 2-year hiatus by the graduate students in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology! RSVP by Nov 11. (Natural History Museum, 3rd Floor, Fleischman Agriculture Bldg, SE corner of UNR campus, 1335 N Virginia St, Reno, NV 89512)
- Wed, Nov 30: BridgeWire Makerspace Loop Potholders: 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM, Start off the season of giving with making holiday potholders! RSVP by Nov 23. (BridgeWire Makerspace, 1055 Industrial Way #20, Sparks, NV 89431)
SAVE THE DATE:
- Sun, Dec 11: Annual Match Holiday Party: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM, Get in the holiday spirit with crafts, games, and food! (Entire lower level of our building, Boys & Girls Club, 1300 Foster Dr, Reno, NV 89509)
- Mid-December: Annual Shopping Activity at BBBSNN Office: Details TBA
- Wed, Dec 14: UNR Men's Basketball vs San Diego: 7:00 PM. RSVP by Dec 1. (Lawlor Events Center, 1664 N. Virginia St, Reno, NV 89557)
- Mesa Rim Climbing Center: Free day passes for climbing, yoga and fitness (Rental gear included). (970 Harvard Way, Reno, NV 89502)
Individual Match Opportunities
- Match Snowboarding: We’ve been invited to participate in a 5-week developmental snowboarding program starting Jan 10 for matches with Littles ages 11 and up. You and your Little would need to be available one day a week (it will be either a Tues or Wed) for 5 consecutive weeks. A bus will depart (from our office) at about 4:00 PM to get to Boreal by the 5:00 PM start. All snow equipment including full snowboard set-up, boots, jackets, helmets, gloves, pants, and goggles will be provided. We will need a minimum of 5 matches who can commit before we pay the one-time fee to partner for this amazing opportunity, so please inform your Match Support Specialist of your interest ASAP!
- Sat, Nov 12: Hands ON! Second Saturday at the Nevada Museum of Art "Play with Pigment" (FREE admission): 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Play with pan pastels and/or create a terracotta pot. (Nevada Museum of Art, 160 W. Liberty Street, Reno, NV 89501) https://www.nevadaart.org/event/hands-on-second-saturday-18/
- Sundays in November: "Makebreaks" Classes at Michaels (FREE admission): Nov 6 (Ornament Event), Nov 13 (Pop-Up Christmas Tree Card), Nov 20 (Christmas Tree Pinecone), Dec 4 (Mini Canvas Gift Tag). Check out these free in-store classes at https://www.michaels.com/instoreevents.
LOCAL DISCOUNTS FOR MATCHES
- Free admission for Littles at The Discovery: Littles get in free with the paid admission of their Bigs any day except Wednesday. On Wednesdays, the museum is open late and from 4:00-8:00 PM, all admissions are 50% off. To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about The Discovery.
- Free studio fees at The Playful Potter: The Playful Potter in Sparks is offering free studio fees for matches that come in to paint pottery. Click here to learn more about the Playful Potter.
- Free admission for Littles at the National Automobile Museum: Littles get in free with the paid admission of their Bigs! To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about the museum and their special events.
- Free ride wristband and $5 game card for Littles at the BoomTown Fun Center: Littles coming with their Big get a free ride wristband and $5 game card to enjoy the Fun Center! To take advantage of the discount, Bigs need to show their ID card or otherwise identify as a Big at the time of transaction. Click here to learn more about the Fun Center.
- Free admission for Littles at the Enchanted Cat Café: Littles receive free entry when accompanied by their Big Brother or Big Sister. Bigs, simply identify yourself as a Big with BBBSNN to redeem.
- Reduced membership for matches at BridgeWire MakerSpace: Half price deal for Bigs to join ($35/month) and you can take your Little (age 12+) for free. This is best suited for older matches who want to make working on projects their main focus. An orientation (at an additional one-time fee) is required of the Big (only) to introduce you to the building and all of the equipment available for use.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR MATCHES
- Immunize Nevada: Email [email protected] for more information about current volunteer opportunities.
Activity Ideas for Community-Based Bigs
*Locations with an asterisk are in Carson City.
Games & Sports
- Play board games
- Go bowling
- Learn a magic trick
- Go miniature golfing or to the driving range
- Learn bike safety and repair
- Watch a sports game at the high school your Little will attend
- Attend a UNR or TMCC sports game
Arts & Crafts
- Watch a theater, dance, or music performance
- Take a class or workshop together
- Visit a museum
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math)
- Walk through a hardware store and learn the function of various tools
- Do a simple chemistry experiment
- Show your Little how to maintain a vehicle, like washing the car or changing a tire
- Complete a Citizen Science project to teach your Little more about the environment
- Visit a museum or planetarium
Reading & Writing
- Write and illustrate a short story or comic book together
- Read the same book then discuss it
- Check out the "Just for Teens" activities through the Washoe County Library System: https://washoecountylibrary.us/teens/index.php
- Visit a library or bookstore (many offer free activities for all ages!)
Community, Activism, & Culture
- Visit local farmers’ markets, parades, or festivals
- Volunteer together with a local charity
- Write to the President and ask for a photo (You’ll probably receive one!)
- Use a map to learn about where friends and family live, where you have or would like to travel, and where current events are occurring
- Learn to count to 10 in a foreign language
- Write a letter to your Congressional representative(s) regarding an issue important to both of you
- Look around an antiques store and compare things of the past with things of the present
- Visit a local historic location
- Learn safety skills like using a fire extinguisher or performing CPR
Nature & Mindfulness
- Go for a walk or hike
- Fly a kite
- Start a rock collection
- Make a gratitude journal
- Kayak or paddle board
- Visit the zoo
- Take a picnic lunch
- Try a new food
- Visit a coffee shop
- Starbucks (BBBS National Partner)
- Go ice skating
- Help your Little make holiday cards for their family, friends, and teachers
- Visit a farm or pumpkin patch
- Create a scrapbook with photos and mementos of the things you’ve done together
- Write a letter to your Little on your match anniversary telling them what you’ve noticed about them in the last year